So I just completed my 2nd 5k EVER in my life. Keep in mind, my first was about 2 weeks ago. I have to say that I think I like this whole running a race thing. Right now I'm still in the very beginning stages of it where I'm running a little, walking a little, then running/walking a little more. In both races I finished around 39 minutes.
The funny thing is that these races bring all kinds of competitors. You have the serious racers. For example, today's 1st place finisher ended at 14 mins 27 sec! Wow! Kudos to them. You have the recreational racers that can pretty much run the whole time, but they're not necessarily looking for any awards. There are the newbies, like me, who haven't really decided if they're recreational or serious racers. Then you have the exercisers just doing the race to get some exercise, raise money for charities, etc. Most of them are primarily walking.
Regardless of the type of 5k racer, everyone is pumped and ready to do it! I think it helps push me a bit to continue running or walk shorter distances in between my runs. I have a mental thing going on where I need to keep up with him or beat her or make it to the next stop sign or keep running if someone is about to take a picture of the race!! It feels good, though.
After both races, I have been very proud of myself. 1. I finished! 2. I didn't come in last! 3. I finished in under 45 minutes! I'm looking to see which one is next. Who knows? Maybe this newbie will someday be considered a serious runner....we'll see!
No comments:
Post a Comment