A little while ago I did another 5k in Wooster benefiting the Anne M Wolf Foundation. While I do the 5k's for my own personal achievement and satisfaction, I think it is also important to pay attention to the charities I'm contributing to. For this one, a friend works with the husband of the late Anne Wolf and it was important for us to support this charity due to the connection. I knew a little bit about Anne and Josh's story, but learned even more at the event. In summary, days after giving birth to their second child, Anne was diagnosed with Triple Negative Stage IV breast cancer. She battled this for four months before passing away. The Foundation was created to honor Anne, but also to help better the lives of others suffering with this diagnosis.
So, I didn't know Anne, but I watched at the 5k as family and friends came out in the hundreds to support Josh, their kids, and the Foundation. Turns out about 535 people supported this event raising approximately $20,000. This is a fantastic feat. Being the emotional person that I am, I reflected on what those four months must have been like as well as the journey that it has taken Anne's family to get where they are today. While those four months must have been so difficult physically and trying to think about the kids and making sure they would know her and her legacy had to be very emotional...She must be a proud mama. The love and support shown for her and her mission was so evident at the 5k. The material passed out has beautiful pictures of Anne always smiling. A friend and I were just talking last night that we can't bring ourselves to throw away the brochure that was passed out. Anne's smile is huge on the front and it is just a fantastic example of love and community coming together to support one another.
So, I was scheduled to run with a friend, then they had an injury and couldn't run. I really debated up until 15 minutes before I left home if I was going to do the 5k because I didn't want to go by myself and didn't want to drive out to Wooster, etc, etc. I tried to make excuses. When it came down to it, I decided to go because I would kick myself for signing up for a race and not doing it. I did the race in 40 mins 10 sec. Of the couple I've done, I think it's my second best time. It was a really nice course and beautiful weather. The thing is, I believe I got more out of this race than any of the others thus far. I got to see this whole story unfold about Anne and her story. When I look back, this was probably the plan for me all along and why there was something in the back of mind that told me I HAD to go to this race. Yes, I cried on the way back home! I just can't say enough about the positive emotions around this event. Everyone was happy and excited and it was all in memory of a loved one and what she stood for.
For my own reflections, I try to continue to think of Anne's story daily. While the sadness of those four months had to be insurmountable, her legacy lives on in a positive and loving light. Her family and friends are moving forward, but not by forgetting about her but by honoring her. In my own life, I need to make sure I do the same. In tough times, I need to think about how my situation is nearly as important as other's have encountered and there is something to learn around every corner. God's got a plan and we have to know to follow it because there is something in store for us.
If you have a moment, please check out the Foundation's website and learn a little more about Anne as well. She is an inspiration...even if you never knew her.
No comments:
Post a Comment